Thursday, September 4, 2008

An Interview with Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin


Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, from Springfield, Missouri, is definitely one of the best pop bands around. If you know me, then you know that they are my favorite band. Broom, their debut album, stole my heart and is one of my favorite albums. It was so well received by the public, and the guys can even call Chris Walla, of Death Cab for Cutie, a fan. Yet, with their release of Pershing this past April, Broom had some major competition. Pershing is so insanely catchy and the perfect pop album with substance. Every single track on Pershing stands out. It is the best driving album, for driving with the windows down on the back roads. My personal favorites are “Glue Girls”, the first track, which has the greatest ending and “Oceanographer” which is so amazing performed live. “The Beach Song” is another personal favorite. Both albums are so different, yet both are phenomenal.

One of the main reasons that Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin are my favorite though, is that the members, John, Will, Phil, and Jonathan, are such great guys. They are so friendly, and always make an extra effort to connect with the fans.

I saw them play in Covington, KY at the Madhatter in July and they were amazing. They were everything I expected and more. John, the lead singer, had lost his voice, so Phil, who also sings, took over the singing for the entire night. They played a shorter set than they normally do, but it was a very special set list. It included songs from Broom and Pershing, which included “Yr Broom”, “Dead Right”, and “Modern Mystery”. Also, they did an Arrested Development cover of “Mr. Wendell” in which Phil rapped, and they played b-sides, like “Let’s Get Tired”. I got the chance to meet the band, and they were all so funny and incredibly kind. I can’t wait to see them perform again soon. They are leaving for a European tour starting September 10th.
I got the chance to interview Phil Dickey, the drummer/guitarist/singer/songwriter of the band. He talks about the differences between Broom and Pershing, adventures in touring, influences, and his guilty pleasures.

Also, please check out their website, http://www.sslyby.com/ and buy their albums.
(Photo credit to my friend Katelyn, who took the photo at their Covington show)

Sarah: So, how is Pershing, the latest album, different from Broom?

Phil: There were so many different circumstances when we made Broom and Pershing, and that's why they sound different. I think Broom is more introverted...I think it sounds like starring at your ceiling in your bedroom. We recorded it in Will's bedroom, so it was easy to make it sound like that. Making Pershing was more complicated. We wanted to make something personal, but we also wanted to make a record that sounded more like our live show...which is much louder, and more upbeat than Broom. We borrowed nicer microphones to record Pershing, so it sounds more professional...but I don't think that's what makes it good. I think Pershing is more of a party record, or for riding your bike.

Sarah: Who have been your biggest musical influences?

Phil: Music that I listened to when I was younger, before I could really play an instrument. When I was a kid, I was obsessed with contemporary Christian music because that's all my parents listened to. Then I got obsessed with the Beatles and Nirvana because I really thought I would get beat up or ridiculed for listening to Michael W. Smith in junior high. Anyway, the Beatles and Nirvana were like magic to me. They're our biggest influences, even though we don't sound much like them.

Sarah: What was the last album that you bought?

Phil: Wildflowers by Tom Petty. It's okay. I wish I liked it more.

Sarah: Where has been your favorite place to tour? Why?

Phil: Beloit, Wisconsin. We play at Beloit College in a really small basement. It's always packed and the kids always freak out and get really into the music. After the show we always hang out with them and sleep on the floor in a random dorm room. We'd much rather play Beloit than a huge club somewhere else.

Sarah: How is it on the road, traveling so much?

Phil: It's all about action, adventure, friendship, and loyalty. Sometimes we're friends and sometimes we want to kill each other.

Sarah: What is your favorite song to perform live? Why?

Phil: Heers. Because it's quiet and loud and it's fun to sing.

Sarah: What do you like to do when you are not touring?

Phil: Just normal stuff like walking a dog, hanging out with friends, and riding bikes. My biggest thing is that I always like to have an art project going on and working on it everyday until it's done and I have a new one. Sometimes it's writing a song. But lately I've been making skateboard videos with my little brother. Will, our guitarist, makes a lot of art, too. We all have normal jobs when we're not touring.

Sarah: Who has been your favorite group to tour with?

Phil: Probably Harry and The Potters because the shows were all ages and totally unpredictable. The first five rows in the crowd were always little kids who had never seen a rock show before.
Sarah: Has anything funny or strange happened on tour recently?

Phil: I got jumped by 3 guys in Asbury Park, New Jersey. They wanted my money and I said no, so one of them punched me in the face. A security car pulled up and they ran off. My face was bleeding and then we played a show. I always wanted to get punched in the eye. So I'm glad it happened without serious injury.

Sarah: What are your plans for the next few months?

Phil: Go on tour and write new songs. Then record new songs for a new album.

Sarah: What is your biggest guilty pleasure (whether it’s food, movies, music, or television show)?
Phil: Right now it's the movie Home Alone. I got the special edition DVD and it has so many awesome extra scenes, and I usually don't watch those. We played a show in Chicago two days ago. While the other guys were eating, Will and I found the Home Alone house with a couple friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice!

Anonymous said...

thats really neat, good interview!

Jolie said...

SWEET