Wednesday, September 10, 2008

An Interview with Eric Johnson of the Fruit Bats/ The Shins



I really, really like the Fruit Bats. Eric Johnson, the main man behind the Fruit Bats, is so talented and an amazing musician. Also, he is a really nice guy. The Fruit Bats have released three albums, Echolocation, and their last two were released on Sub Pop, Mouthfuls and Spelled in Bones. Recently, Eric Johnson became the newest member of the Shins. I got to see him perform with the Shins on the Wincing the Night Away tour, and they were astonishing.

Spelled in Bones was released in 2005, and then the Shins took most of Eric’s time after that. “Canyon Girl” is one of my favorite Fruit Bats songs, and one of my favorite songs in general. It gives me goose bumps sometimes, when I listen to that song on my drive home when the sun is setting. When Eric hits the high notes, I just love it. The Fruit Bats were the soundtrack to my summer. I suggest if you do not know Eric’s work already, you should definitely buy a copy of any of his albums.
I got the chance to interview Eric Johnson, and he talks about Fruit Bats news, being the newest member of the Shins, and his hidden talents.

Here is the link to their merchandise on the Sub Pop site:
http://subpop.com/catalog/artists/fruit_bats



Sarah: So what have you been up to lately? Any news about the Fruit Bats?


Eric Johnson: I'm working on new songs right now, and there should be some shows early next year. It's been a while, so I've had time to reinvent things a little bit. The live show is going to be much improved, I think. I'm pretty excited! I've been taking my time, nice and slow.


Sarah: How does it feel to be the newest member of the Shins? Were there any hazing rituals?


EJ: No hazing rituals, thankfully! Playing with that band is as fun as one might imagine. I've been friends with those fellows for quite some time now (from before they even had records out), so it's been fun watching them grow, and then getting to jump on board! I'm the first person who isn't from Albuquerque to play with any of those guys, so it's been pretty fun becoming an honorary New Mexican. Especially for a guy from Chicago like me.


Sarah: What has been your favorite place to tour?


EJ: Fruit Bats have always just toured in the US, and I still love getting in the van and going. It's always an unpredictable adventure, and it's kind of addictive. I've toured pretty much all over the world with The Shins, and I can't even begin to tell you a favorite. Japan was amazing, I will say.


Sarah: What is your favorite song to perform?


EJ: People have always responded strongly to "When U Love Somebody," and I guess it's probably the closest thing the Fruit Bats has had to a "hit." Usually bands hate playing their hits, but I still get a kick out of seeing people bounce around to that one.


Sarah: Who have been your biggest musical influences?


EJ: That's a hard one. It might be a cliché, but I turned a huge corner the first time I heard the Velvet Underground at about age fourteen. My friend's older brother had "Loaded," and it made me realize you didn't really have to be able to play that great to make great music. I had similar epiphanies (for different reasons) with Neil Young, Nilsson, Dylan, The Grateful Dead, Pavement, Souled American, Red Red Meat... The list goes on.


Sarah: What was the last album you bought?


EJ: I just bought Todd Barry's comedy album "From Heaven" off of I-tunes last week.


Sarah: Who has been your favorite band to collaborate/tour with?


EJ: I can't answer that. I've enjoyed so many collaborations and tours with different people in different ways.


Sarah: Do you have any hidden talents?


EJ: I can pop my shoulder blades out of their sockets. It's really gross. It doesn't hurt at all and I can pop them back in just as easily. Some people find it hilarious but most find it freaky. It's a drunken party trick.


Sarah: What is your favorite thing to do when you are not touring?


EJ: Watching or listening to Chicago Cubs baseball, cooking, hanging with my lady, writing screenplays.


Sarah: What is your biggest guilty pleasure?


EJ: No true pleasure should bring you guilt.
(Photo taken from the Fruit Bats' flickr)

No comments: