Saturday, April 11, 2009

Carson Ellis Interview



Carson Ellis is one of my absolute favorite artists and creates the album artwork for one of my favorite bands, the Decemberists. I love all of the artwork she creates because she really does tell a story through her artwork. It goes perfectly along with the Decemberists' music and she illustrates the songs and album concepts perfectly. Not only is she the mastermind behind the Decemberists' album artwork, but she also has done the artwork for children's books and other albums. Her artwork shows she has true patience and talent and is absolutely meticulous. I got the chance to ask her a few questions about her artwork, future projects, and what she likes doing in her spare time.
Also, please pick up a copy of the Decemberists latest album, The Hazards of Love. The album is absolutely amazing and worth every penny.
How did you and Colin meet and how did you start doing all of the artwork for the Decemberists?
We met in college at the University of Montana. We were roommates. Back then I made some flyers for his old band, Tarkio. Later I moved to Portland about the time he was starting the Decemberists and he promptly put me to work making flyers, album art, t-shirts, website illustrations, etc.

What inspires you?
Right now I'm inspired by all kinds of folk art, poster art from the 60s, vintage labels, medieval art and typography, lots of book illustrators (Alice and Martin Provensen, Garth Williams, Ivan Bilibin, Maurice Sendak, Tomi Ungerer, Pauline Baynes among many others), Russian literature. I'm always inspired by the natural world, especially the woods around my house.

What is your favorite medium?
If I had to choose one, I'd say pencil, though I love ink and watercolor too.

Who is your favorite artist?
It's so hard to choose just one. Maybe Ben Shahn.

What projects do you have lined up for the future?
Right now I'm working on album art for a new Laura Veirs record. I'm also illustrating a book called Dillweed's Revenge by Florence Parry Heide. Once I'm done with that I'll be illustrating a version of the Illiad by Cynthia Rylant.

What do you like to do in your spare time?
I like to knit. I'm also an amateur quilter and gardener. I love to spend time in the woods and with my family. I love yoga. And I travel a lot.

Do you have any hidden talents?
Mmmmm. Nothing comes to mind.

Do you have any guilty pleasures?

Yes, lots!
Please check out Carson's site:
And make sure to buy the Decemberists' albums so you can see Carson's excellent artwork in person: http://www.decemberists.com/




No comments: